The Maine Zumba prostitution scandal is a story that hits home for me. Literally. Since the debacle that occurred when the client list was released, in which only names were stated, now lists are being released with the clients' full names, ages, and addresses.
It's hard not to become engrossed in this developing story since I recognize so many of the names on the lists. Many of the men are prominent public figures who I've seen on television, whose businesses I've been to, who are related to kids I went to high school with, and most recently, who live down the street from me. Yep. That creepy house down the road just got a little bit creepier.
While this story may not still be making national headlines, it's still causing a lot of talk in Maine. More and more names are being released each week. One woman at my mom's office was ready to celebrate the release of last week's list, bringing in donuts and coffee for those who would read it with her. She wasn't in much of a celebratory mood once she saw her best friend's dad on there.
Avoiding showing up on the list is, of course, completely possible. All the men have to do is plead guilty to the charges and pay a fine. I honestly don't know why more men haven't done this, but the names keep coming.
So far, Alexis Wright has plead not guilty to over 100 charges of prostitution. Wright and her "pimp," Mark Strong, are asking for separate trials.
No comments:
Post a Comment