That's what I posted on my mom's Facebook wall with the link to my story that was published on http://www.tnhonline.com/ earlier today.
I think this is the first time I've ever really had anything published for the public to see. It's definitely the first news article I've had published on a legit news source, and honestly it's kind of exciting. I know everyone in the journalism program has to have had something published by now, so I'm no special snowflake, but it's still a pretty awesome feeling knowing that my work is of a high enough quality to be published.
I definitely feel like my work has improved a lot since the beginning of the semester. After all, one of the comments on my first piece was, "I'm not quite sure what your story is about." Thankfully, I've made some improvements since then. I think I've made big strides in narrowing in on what the story is really about, and making it something people want to read. I've gotten better at providing interesting angles, and engaging quotes in the best ways possible.
I've also discovered what it is that I actually enjoy writing about. I like writing community stories, stories that involve the people we know. My favorite articles to write were the ones about students getting involved, doing something new, and engaging others. My articles on HvZ, election day on campus, and students making a difference were the ones that I personally enjoyed writing the most, and also were my most successful stories.
While journalism isn't exactly the path I want to follow in the future, I did really enjoy this experience and I think I gained a lot of skills as a writer. And who knows, maybe I'll continue being a contributing writer for TNH. Because, as my mom commented on the Facebook link, I've done some "stellar reporting," so maybe I shouldn't just stop now.
No comments:
Post a Comment