Do I feel like a journalist yet? Maybe.
I think when I suddenly became better at writing sentences comprised of 15 words or less, and composing paragraphs on only two sentences, I felt more like a journalist.
When I interviewed people, and pursued questions further than I first intended, I felt more like a journalist.
When I consulted the AP Stylebook, I definitely felt more like a journalist.
I still haven't mastered finding a story, or composing perfect leads. My quotes could always be integrated better, and I still need to work on sticking to the actual point of my story. Truth be told, I was never in this class to feel like a journalist; I just wanted to be able to take an editing class next semester. But, all the work I've done so far, and the tricks I've learned have given me more of a true sense of what it is to be a journalist. I did some radio work back in high school, and this class feel a lot like that. I've been using the same skills: developing a compelling topic, gathering information, finding first-hand sources, and conducting interviews. In the end, this class pushes those skills I developed in high school even further, and it gives me the same excitement.
I'm ready to get on Anderson Cooper's level.
No comments:
Post a Comment