Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Wednesday's wisdom.

The search for stories last Wednesday was actually really helpful. It showed me just how easy it is to find a spark for a story idea. The "beat" for my search team was Campus Life, so we decided to hunt down the most central bulletin boards, and see what we could find for story ideas.

Turns out, you can find a lot of story ideas in those chaotic pits of flier madness.

What I really learned was that the story isn't simply the event we read about on the flier, but the story behind that event. What I mean, for example, is that fall Scope recruitment in itself might not be a story, but a look into hazing in UNH clubs might be. We also found fliers for a bartending class held on campus, and a sign up for a Budweiser Booze Cruise; both of these I think can be turned into stories about promoting alcohol on campus. You can check out the bartending class here: http://www.ontherocksbartending.com

No comments:

Post a Comment